Linda Robinson, Senior International and Defense Researcher at the RAND Corporation, joined us to discuss how to make victory count after defeating ISIS. In this podcast, she discusses the importance of good governance and reconciliation in the region after the fall of ISIS and expands on her recommended steps to take during the next year in Iraq:
- Improve humanitarian situation
- Provide immediate security, including demining
- Support resumption of city life in Mosul, such as rebuilding infrastructure and stabilizing deployment
- Promote reconciliation and good governance
Linda Robinson is a senior international and defense researcher at the RAND Corporation. Her current research centers on assessing the U.S. national security strategy, strategy and campaign to counter the Islamic State in Iraq and the Syria (ISIS), political warfare by state and non-state actors, and special operations forces.
She conducted eight months of field research in the Middle East in 2016-17, testified before the U.S. Congress on ISIS and US counterterrorism strategy, Ms. Robinson was a Nieman fellow at Harvard University, senior consulting fellow at the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), a media fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institution, and author in residence at John Hopkins SAIS Merrill Center for Strategic Studies. She received the Gerald R. Ford Prize for Reporting on National Defense and other awards.
Ms. Robinson was senior adviser to U.S. Central Command’s Afghanistan-Pakistan Center and has provided strategic analysis, studies and concepts on defense, diplomacy, and counterinsurgency as an expert consultant. She is serving a three-year appointment to the U.S. Army War College Board of Visitors and is a frequent lecturer domestically and internationally at civilian and military educational institutions and policy conferences.
- Linda’s biography at RAND: https://www.rand.org/about/people/r/robinson_linda.html
- Finding the Right Balance: Department of Defense Roles in Stabilization
- Modern Political Warfare: Current Practices and Possible Responses
- Improving the Understanding of Special Operations: A Case History Analysis
- Research report: Making Victory Count After Defeating ISIS – Stabilization Challenges in Mosul and Beyond: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2076.html
- Research report: Improving the Understanding of Special Operations – A Case History Analysis: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2026.html
- Linda’s author page at Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Linda-Robinson/e/B001JRUU5S/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1